North Carolinians are facing countless changes that require new ways of thinking about health care, partnering and investing resources, including:
- inequities in health care outcomes;
- a lack of affordable and accessible care;
- a rapidly aging population;
- shifting payment models and a consolidating health care system;
- increased focus on social determinants of health, such as housing and poverty; and
- an opioid epidemic and the coronavirus pandemic.
These intractable problems require collaboration across communities, regions, disciplines and industries.
UNC Health Sciences at MAHEC leverages the academic and research strength of UNC-Chapel Hill alongside the decades of community-based partnerships the Mountain Area Health Education Center has developed in the 16-plus counties of Western North Carolina. Together, as UNC Health Sciences at MAHEC, UNC-Chapel Hill and MAHEC have joined forces to help meet the unprecedented health-related challenges of this largely rural region of our state.