Meeting the Need and Making an Impact
The Carolina Fund gives us the ability to use your gift to make the biggest impact possible and weather the ebb and flow of state funding, tuition income and federal grants. Gifts to the Carolina Fund can be put to use right away and provide unrestricted dollars to give us maximum flexibility to make strategic decisions.
This flexibility is particularly vital when meeting unforeseen challenges such as the repercussions of the COVID-19 pandemic on our campus and around the world.
In 2021-22, The Carolina Fund provided funding to many areas across campus, including:
- Alumni Distinguished Professorships;
- Carolina Fund Scholarships;
- Be A Maker Makerspaces, to deploy a new Coworks application and pilot a new system with researchers and other special populations on campus;
- Student Affairs, to hire additional therapists to provide emergency services and counseling to the increased number of students at Counseling and Psychological Services; and
- Student Government, to support the pilot year of the Ronald Epps Emerging Leaders (REEL) Program. Named after the first African American student to serve as Carolina’s student body president, REEL is an emerging leader, cohort-style program that provides incoming first-year and transfer students with opportunities to develop key leadership skills that will serve them on UNC’s campus, throughout North Carolina and nationally.